Thursday, August 7, 2008

ACT 6 AIDS Ride

I got this email from my friend Scott, his was the first gift I matched. He wrote:

Here is my story.

I was working in a grocery store when I was a senior in high school. The
AIDS epidemic was just beginning. Newsweek or Time magazine had a cover
story of the new Gay Cancer that doctors could not figure out. I was the
fist male checker the store had ever hired and that magazine was in the
checkout rack. It was a time when I was struggling with my own sexuality
and hearing customers comment on that magazine cover, often for my benefit,
was scary.

Just a couple of years before that my father had been in Washington D.C. on
business. When he returned, he declared that they could have dropped a
bomb there and wiped out all of the queers. That was 1979 and he had been
there during the Gay Rights march on Washington.

When I moved to Madison I looked for an organization that I could volunteer
for that might make a difference. At the time AIDS was still looked on as
a gay disease. I volunteered with them for several years and somehow still
felt immune to its devastation. I hadn’t lost any friends or knew anyone
personally with AIDS. Then one night when I was passing out condoms at one
of the bars an AIDS Network client came up to me and thanked me for all
that I was doing. That really hit home.

I don’t do much volunteering there anymore, but still support them as much
as I think I can. Now, I do have friends that are HIV positive and
probably more that I don’t even know about. I know how important
organizations like AIDS Network are to their lives.

When I heard that my friend Peter, who I hardly ever see, was riding in the
ACT 6 AIDS Ride this year I thought this would be a good year to start
contributing to that event as well. So I'm sending $100 to AIDS Network,
600 Williamson Street, Madison, WI 53703 and asking that it be credited to
Peter Jones. Maybe sometime I’ll try to do the ride myself.

Scott

No comments: