Monday, August 11, 2008

Cystic Fibrosis Marathon, Miles To Go

I met Mike in 1986 within two months of moving to Madison to attend college. In fact, we met working at the Howard Johnson's across from my dorm. One of the first feminist aha moments I had was noticing the way the women there were treated by management versus the men...Mike and I became friends and by November he took me to Chicago to meet his family, including his mother, to whom this blog is dedicated.

Mike lives in Poland and we have only seen each other once in the last 10 years, sadly it was at his moms funeral. Thanks to the interweb we have been able to stay connected through all the major ups and downs over the years. He wrote me, "I can’t believe that it has been 20 years or more years since we first met...So much has happened to us, so much experience, so many changes. Life just keeps going, we keep learning, and hopefully we become better people with the passage of time."

Mike is donating to his cousin's cystic fibrosis appeal. It is a time sensitive appeal so I'm gonna move it up on the 10 year giving plan and send something in with the next paycheck. The boy in the picture is the son Mike's cousin Trisha. He wrote, "You may remember (her) from when you visited her Mother’s home during my Mom’s funeral. He has a chance to live to be about 35, so I truly hope that they find a cure before Colin reaches that age. I am optimistic that they will."

No comments: